Monday, April 16, 2012

Corinthians Adventures - What HIT me...


Entering into the last stretch of the module, studying the book of Corinthians this semester has been a challenging yet rewarding journey. Aptly named, “Corinthians Adventures”, I found myself exposed to several thought-provoking ideas, concepts, and practices that have given me fresh perspectives to the Bible and challenged me in my walk with God.

Class Lectures

     I consider myself privileged and blessed learning from the lecturing team of Reverend Casey and sister Davina. The friendly atmosphere, though not without its required strictness in discipline, made class participation comfortable and non-threatening. As teachers, the husband and wife team were exemplary role models in their willingness to teach, give advice, and share openly within or outside class timings. It contributed to a lively motivated learning environment[1] which embodied the image of both teacher and student parties being active participants in a learning community.

     This form of classroom teaching contributed to a two-fold purpose that it taught me to respect my lecturers while given a chance to air my opinions in the class. The teaching method taught me the extra qualities of being a teacher; willing to be flexible and apt to changes in teaching style, to listen, to learn, and be teachable as well. Additionally, it helped me to better understand, and value the range of individual perspectives, to create positive human relationships, respect individuals, and strive to create a sense of community.

Class Interaction

         It was encouraging and interesting that our lecture begins with prayer and ends with a thought provoking question. Besides listening to the lecture, I personally found such student participation intriguing and beneficial as there were also several new ‘faces’ in the class. The prayer and discussion among the students helped very much in knowing each other better and class participation respectively. It also produced several interesting plus noteworthy pointers from common and differing views. It fueled my motivation and helped me to see the relevance of the lecture topic not only through my own eyes but as a class too.

         Coupled with knowing and understanding my classmates better, additionally I found myself also developing in the area of critical thinking. I have always been a thinker, instead of focusing on basic requirement of getting work done, I learned to challenge myself to dig into a text as deeply as possible and unpack every detail to develop a satisfying close read.[2]

Managing Expectations and Patience

     The ‘Master’ group interaction left me with the timeless principles of managing expectations and patience. I experienced a whole new level of teamwork in this module. The members of the group came from diverse background and have different commitments and coming from a student’s culture in AGBC, expectations were initially unspoken and assumed. This was a mistake realized as time went on as the outcome of the team’s products was not easy to come by. I was quite disheartened by the outcome and began to lament quite a bit. It was through much prayer, and with honest admission that I shared about it during the ‘Final Group Assessment’ discussion. We realized we had let each other down and decided unanimously that the team must complement each other better with spoken clarify and continual dialogue through emails, text messages or even in short meeting. Exhibiting positive interdependence, the team began to manage the expectations in greater detail.[3]

     An additional outcome was patience which is the easiest to lose in a tense moment. I found this especially challenging after sharing in chapel that patience was what I learned during the college mission trip to Nepal in 2011. I felt tested to maximum upon that declaration! The practice of patience toward one another, the overlooking of weaknesses, and the bearing of burdens was crucial and taught me much about working together. It showed me why we needed each other. With patience, it generated encouragement, love, and support for each other.

Group Presentations
     Group presentations were a welcomed segment in the module requirements as it ushered variety and an opportunity to express what we learned in theory. The presentations on generous giving from 2 Corinthians Chapters eight and nine were both informative and hilarious as I learned about what is an anointed ministry from Paul’s perspective. Reminding the Corinthians of their forgotten or delayed giving was never an easy task but Paul did it with humility, gentleness, and meekness. I am reminded about giving with a cheerful heart knowing that all I have is from God. Being in full-time studies, without paycheck, and a family of five to feed, giving was initially a calculated exercise. However in time, God showed me in many ways that He was never short of meeting my needs. As I watch the message of generous giving during the presentations, my heart was assured and unburdened as I acknowledge God’s grace in all that I have are gifts from Him given to me to share with others in the desire for them to know of His love. 


Readings and Research
     The Pre-module reading assignments and spiritual exercises helped me much in discovering relevant life applications challenging my pre-existing principles. Interestingly the in-depth study of the book of Corinthians reveal many similarities in issues that face Singaporeans in the 21st Century and ironically, we relentlessly search for answers to our problems in our human understanding not realizing they are in the bible. Coming from a similar background of the establishment of the city, its multi-religious background, and wealth, both face similar problems and challenges for example, morality, divisions in parties, and pride, to name a few. I marvel at the beauty in the Word of God. It made me question my understanding of the word with respect to the amount of time spent reading the bible and my communion time with God. There were promptings for a deeper inner assessment, need for reinforcements in areas of my life and belief as well as alignment of some my principles and values.

     Another area that stood out for me in the readings was in 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 where Paul teaches them about true spirituality; it is about love for God and love for others. Fee reiterated Paul’s purpose in re-directing the Corinthians’ idea on the true spirituality toward “edifying the community”.[4] God is love and love is the ultimate principle in which all believers excel and live.[5] During the early stages of group assignments, having other modules to contend with, I was dispirited by the way the group was functioning and dwelled in depression. As I reviewed myself, it caused me to ask, “How am I hindering God from expressing His love through me?”

     It is sometimes a challenge to love everyone around me, but I have learned that I can find something to love about every person if I look hard enough. I have to take expectations and perceptions out of my heart and mind; take myself out of my prides and prejudices to find what God wants me to see. It is not easy, but if God can give that to me unconditionally, greater still I should be following His example and work at it.

It's been and still is an Adventure :)




               [1] John. C. Maxwell, Developing the Leader within You (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Inc, 1993), 113-37.
      [2] Karen B. Tye, Basics of Christian Education (St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2000), 50.

      [3]Roger T., and David W. Johnson, Cooperative Learning: Two heads learn better than one, http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC18/Johnson.htm (accessed March 31, 2012).

               [4] Gordon D. Fee, The First Epistle to the Corinthians. New International Commentary on the New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1987), 653-60.
      [5]Ibid, 628-52.

5 comments:

  1. It's tough to work with many people but that's what ministry is all about--people! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you bet it's tough! Bro Casey... but not impossible. The main thing for me is communication; when to say I can, and when to say I can't. Just do the best I can... Thks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, really appreciate the teachings of Bro Casey Sis Davina! The learning atmosphere has been enjoyable, and hearing the different perspectives of class mates help us to learn from each other.

    Agree that some issues faced by the Corinthians were similar to that which we face in Singapore, though ultimately, human nature is similar across the two thousand years separating us, and that is much which Paul wrote that apply to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. classmates perspectives? you bet it was Really interesting! Some Scholarly, some Jokers, some question Engagers, some feeders, some ...yet to be described... Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk! What a Community! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Eugene for the heartfelt sharing. Thank you for persevering with us. :)

    You are a man of faith and and a man of courage. I am encouraged and inspired by the step of faith you took to respond to God's call in your life. I am so glad that you are about to complete your course. I pray that God will continue to bless and use you in an ever increasing measure.

    ReplyDelete